Lowering the Maintenance burden of open source projects
Assuming that attention from a producer is a non-excludable, rivalrous good 1 , projects must implement methods to optimize the use of the available attention. Some possibilities are:[ @eghbal2020 Working in public: the making and maintenance of open source software ]
- Automation: Continuous Integration, Bots
- Clear guidelines: Templates, code style, linters
- Limiting available attention (for example not accepting pull-requests)
- Distributing costs: creating user-supported forums (see: The interaction between Stackoverflow and Github )
- Increase available attention: see the role of money in open source
These are the other notes that link to this one.